Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lincoln Lake

Currently Listening To: Matt Haeck: Western States EP

Happy 4th of July!

This past week I was the speaker for their Junior High Wilderness Week at Lincoln Lake Baptist Camp. There were 19 campers, 3 counselors, and 2 program staff involved in the week and my responsibilities consisted of the typical “speak once in the morning and once in the evening” format.

[The Wilderness Campers at our last chapel of the week.]

The week was cold and occasionally rainy with the exception of Friday. Friday was beautiful. Lucky (Providentially) for me, I had requested a room in the lodge about a month ago, so I didn’t have to spend the week out sleeping on the ground in a damp tent. I did try and spend a good bit of time out with the campers and counselors, however, be it sitting around the fire or running through the woods playing Capture the Flag or playing Camouflage or fishing on the dock.

[The climbing wall.]

For the most part, I think the speaking went well. As expected, there was a moderate range of maturity levels and Bible background amongst the students and a definite range of attention spans. Speaking a lot in the woods didn’t help those with shorter attention spans. Oh well. I did my best to accurately teach the Scriptures in a way that makes sense and now I’ll leave it to the Holy Spirit to change lives.

One cool side note was that one of the counselors, Alex, had attended Faith Baptist Bible College, near where I grew up and where my sisters attend(ed), and Saylorville Baptist Church, so we shared many mutual friends.

Now it’s back to Roseville where I’ll be leading music for the students Sunday morning and then preaching from Amos 6* in the main service at 10:45. Your prayers would be much appreciated.

* I wasn’t fully aware of how bold and in your face this text was until after I had committed to preaching it. It certainly ruffled my feathers and I hope it will do the same for others on Sunday. My goal is that Scripture, not me, will be what offends people.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Already Praying for your Sunday Morning Preaching in BIG CHURCH
( patrick dislikes that term LOL)

and Knowing the Spirit of GOD will be blowing on hearts...

so Casual attire or the Baptist uniform?

Josh said...

The lodge has nice showers.

Anonymous said...

Scripture in it's purest format is offensive, Kevin. -- I was VERY offended! :-)

Anonymous said...

that message rocked..! i was laughing my head off when u mentioned Rhine's cabin, and i had the most amazing time trying 2 convince mom n dad how fantasticly HORRIBLE they're cabin was. right b 4 ur message mom was like " no sayin 'woot! woot! woot!'" twas awesomely epic! oh, and my dad was cheering that 2!
-sam