Saturday, July 25, 2009

VBS Week

This week was VBS. I worked with the 6th grade program called VBX. VBS had 220-230 kids each day including 28-30 kids each day in VBX. From what I could tell, everyone had a great time. I had the opportunity to work with a wonderful crew of leaders who each did a phenomenal job with their respective responsibilities.

Here are a few highlight moments from the week:

When talking about the garden of Eden, I mentioned that Adam and Eve were naked and weren't embarrassed about it. One kid raised his hand and asked, "Does that mean we'll all be naked in heaven?" Awkward moment.
-- Answer: Revelation 7:9 says the multitude is wearing white robes. Any other good answers to this question? --

During the singing time (especially on "In Christ Alone") the kids were singing as loud as I've ever heard 30 kids sing. It was awesome.

After successfully staying completely dry throughout the water balloon toss contest (the key is having a good partner and using a water balloon roughly the size of a golf ball), Jenn Peck (aka game leader and previously referenced "good partner") yelled, "Everyone grab a water balloon and go get Kevin!!!" I've never ran (read: swiftly and aggressively limped) so fast in my life. I couldn't avoid all 30 pursuers so I ended up getting soaked. I did manage, however, to catch a few water balloons that were thrown my way, so I had a chance to return fire at a few kids.

On a positive note, the water from the balloons hid the tears that were streaming down my face as a result of my soul's anguish brought on by being betrayed by my now ex-friend Jenn.

On Friday, the VBX crew gave me a volleyball signed by all the leaders and students to expression appreciation for my ministry this past year. They then all circled around me and prayed for me and my future ministry as I move to Denver. This was a moment I'll never forget. Very cool and totally unexpected.

Each night during the VBX week I did something different. Monday I packed, Tuesday I went to a Tiger's game, Wednesday I went to the McGoldrick's house, Thursday I went to Greek town with Dan and Sarah Schnepper, and last night I hung out at the Moen's. Tonight is my middle school farewell party since I'll be gone this upcoming week at TLC. It (the party tonight) is going to be awesome. I'll post pictures.

No comments: