Monday, February 2, 2009

A Quiet Monday Night

Currently Listening to: the hum of the fish tank filter motor and the clicking of the keyboard keys
Currently About to Read "post-post": Back to the Heart of Youth Work by Dewey M. Bertolini
Currently Eating: Graham Crackers and 2% milk
Currently Chatting to on the Phone: Mike Morter
Currently Looking Forward to: Listening to the audio of the 2009 Desiring God Conference for Pastors that started tonight and runs till Wednesday 

This past weekend was the Middle School Advance. Personally, I thought the weekend went really well. We had a blast tubing, climbing the indoor rock wall, playing dodgeball, playing volleyball, playing the group "BIG GAME" that I sorta invented, throwing snowballs, singing, placing ourselves under the authority of Scripture, and having meaningful small group discussions about what we were learning. 

Here are a few of the memorable silly moments from the weekend:

I. McDonald's 50 chicken nuggets for $8.95. 
II. Devin eating 25 nuggets and forgetting the other 25 on the table when we left.
III. A group of students singing Skillet songs ac cappella at the top of their lungs on the bus.
IV. Parker and Joel engaging in a "Who can sing "The Blue Jay Song" better/worse?" competition on the bus.
V. Something about Evan and Jordan and bad smells keeping their cabin up late at night ... don't ask about the details.
VI. Bug Man stuck a roasted, melted marshmallow to the buttocks region of my pants at the bonfire. Not funny at the time but maybe in 5 years it will be funny.
VII. A certain snow ball thrown with impeccable speed and accuracy by Bug Man's brother, Brian, that left me picking snow out of the button fly on my jeans.
VIII. Watching Olivia get hit/almost hit by dodgeballs no matter where she was in the gym. She could have hidden under the bleachers and a dodgeball would have found a way to sneak back there and hit her in the back of the head. It was really unfortunate.
IX. A certain student was pretty sore on Saturday and therefore walked with a considerable limp (not unlike a certain author of this blog). In an effort to lift his spirits and boost my own self-esteem, I told him that the limp made him 10% cooler. With perfect timing, another student then chimed in, "So I guess that makes you 10% cool now." [I tell this story realizing the two-fold risk. First, this story might insinuate that I endorse, and dare I say, encourage, middle school put downs.  This is not the case. Second, this story might fall under the category of "I guess you had to be there." This might be the case. But I hope not."]
X. Reflection on the fact that my depiction of events I - IX grew unintentionally progressively longer.

Wednesday a.m. I am leaving for BBC to see some friends and see if that is where I want to go back to post-internship


4 comments:

Nate C. said...

Root,
thinking about heading back to the old bubble huh? who'da thunk? So does that mean that Seminary/Grad school somewhere is your planned next step? When is the internship over? Can you believe that i just asked you four Questions in a row without a single declarative sentence? And can you believe that they actually kinda flowed together as a paragraph? Would you like me to stop? ok.

Unknown said...

Denver or bust!!! I made the Blog!!! I feel pretty!!!

Anonymous said...

yeah, winter advance was pretty boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(awesome) if your not cool enough to know that. Matt made it up. kinda.

kevin said...

Nate.

I'm planning to take a couple seminary classes in the fall but I'm not sure what route I'm gonna go or what seminary I'll use. The internship finishes at the end of July. Well done on the interrogative paragraph.