Saturday, February 21, 2009

Time to Kill

I have about 15 minutes before I'm going to head home for dinner so I thought I'd post a "let's see what randomly comes to my head" post.

I have spent the duration of the afternoon today at ... drumroll please ... Starbucks. I awoke at 6:45 this morning and was gym-ing it up by 7:15. I gymed it up until 8:30 and then went home and ate a fabulous bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats. Then I showered up, made my bed, and finished folding the laundry that I did yesterday but lazily neglected to fold and put away. 

Then I went downstairs and ate a couple pieces of French toast because Dan was cooking and offered me a couple slices. Then I talked to Mike on the phone for a while and then ate some left-overs from last night for lunch and then headed to Starbucks. 

I had to laugh when I first sat down because this upper 20's aged couple at a table next to me was sitting across from each other and looking at magazines. The girl was looking at a pretty home decorating type magazine and the guy was looking at a magazine that had pictures of various power tools littering the pages. My guess is that the dude figured if he had to go to a coffee shop and drink overpriced milk and espresso, he might as well attempt to maintain some degree of masculine dignity. 

Now that I mention that, I have kind of talked myself into a corner because I enjoy coffee shops and overpriced milk and espresso and would be as bored as a dad at a Hannah Montana concert if I had to look through a magazine of power tools. Don't get me wrong, there is something about revving up a loud power saw that makes me feel more alive, but I just don't want to have to look at pictures of such things.

As for the weather, it's snowing cats and dogs outside. 

Another current Starbucks customer observation, a dad and his two young daughters are sitting directly in front of me. The girls have their coloring pages and markers out and are giggling and seem to be enjoying their time with dad. Both girls have brightly colored, polka dot winter coats on and one girl has a just as brightly colored striped scarf wrapped around her head. From what I can tell, this dad seems to be doing a good job as a father. He isn't reading, talking on his cellphone, or working on something else, he is completely engaged in what his daughters are doing. He is helping them spell whatever words they are writing and telling his daughters that what they are coloring looks pretty. Good job dad.

Time to go home for dinner. Then I'm going to a hockey game to watch a friend from church play. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yourrr a creeeeep woot! hahaha
jk...but that "RANDOM" story was quite entertaining...i chuckled a bit i must add.

-b-rooke!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevin - So do you like always go to coffee shops, eating establishments, etc. to watch other people? Isn't that called stalking or something like that?

Anonymous said...

Actually, the story about the dad and daughters was very cute. Awww....