Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Senior High Advance Report

Current Listening: The Fray

Currently Digesting: Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Breakfast Burritos and a Chocolate Protein Shake


Current Upper Body Apparel
: Vintage Underground Cafe Staff Hoodie and a 2007 Shaffer Classic (dodgeball tournament) t-shirt

Currently Anticipating: Lunch at Logan's Steakhouse with Parker and Maclane and then an afternoon Wii party at Parker's house with Parker, Maclane, and Devin
.

This past weekend was the Senior High Winter Advance at Lake Ann Camp. I didn't have any speaking responsibilities so the weekend was more relaxed for me than the previous two student weekends. I simply had to lead a group game before the evening sessions and be a room leader with John Hutek. Additionally, I was able to get to know a number of students that I had previously never met or at least had never really talked to before.*

The students played a lot of euchre, MOW (rhymes with "cow"), catch phrase, pick up sticks, and hacky sack and also spent hours coloring pictures and doing the bead design craft project. We also got in a tenacious game of students vs. leaders tackle football in the snow.

Johnny Norbeck, a former intern, came in from New Jersey to speak and preached four sessions from the book of Daniel. His big theme challenged the students and leaders to look for the sovereignty of God in all situations and to be bold in standing up for Christ.

I forgot to bring my camera so here are a couple pics from the weekend that I stole from Paige's and Courtney's Facebook albums.

[A group of students jubilantly tubing down the hill.
Front to Back: Lindsay, Henrietta, Matt, Arianna, Jocelyn, Jessica, and Karissa]

[The annual tradition of piling as many guys on a bunk as possible.
They crushed the previous record this year.]

[One of two pictures of me that was posted in an album.
(the other one was worse).

Gotta love the classic "picture by the unsuspecting intern's backside."
L to R: Courtney, Michael, Intern's Backside]


[Part of the Sr. High band that led music for the weekend.
L to R: Kathryn, Arianna, Noelle, Ryan.]

[Rachel, Courtney, and Paige eating some late lunch.]

* "Additionally, I was able to get to know a number of students that I had previously never met or at least had never really talked to before."

In an effort to not end a sentence with two consecutive prepositions, I will rewrite the above sentence below in grammatically correct form:

"Additionally, I was able to get to know a number of students that I had either previously never met or with whom I had never previously spoken."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, as for the burrito and protein shake, are they supposed to cancel each other out?