Monday, October 6, 2008

Plaid and Perks

This is Susanna. She's in 8th grade and she likes plaid. She also saw me with my camera on Sunday and wanted me to take her picture, so I told her I would and that I would put it on my blog. Just a little somethin' about Susanna: she will answer or try to answer any question I ask when I'm teaching. And she refuses to call me anything but "Kevin Woot." 

This weekend was pretty crazy with the trip out to Pennsylvania and all. I'm not going to say much about the funeral, but I wanted to include a few thought provoking quotes that were said at it. First, one of the first comments made by the pastor was, "We are not here today to honor someone who loved religion. We are here today to honor someone who loved the Lord." A great way to start the funeral. The second quote was said by Janet's roommate for the last 6 months. She had only known Janet for the last year, but they had become very close and in speaking of their friendship she said, "Janet was the most direct answer to prayer I have ever received." The last quote was from an entry in Janet's journal written September 30, 2007 (2 days short of exactly one year before she died). She said, "Where will I be in a year? I can't even express how excited I am to start life." My guess is that she had no clue as the the LIFE should be enjoying one year from when she wrote that journal entry. 
 We (a bunch of Janet's friend from the Detroit area) got back at 3:00 Sunday morning and, because I had to drive clear across town and I had consumed a massive iced coffee on the way back, I wasn't able to snuggle into bed and fall asleep till 4:00ish.  I was then up at 7:30 in order to go to my office and spend time reviewing the lesson and praying before all the students arrived. 
After church was the middle school "Dinner for Fifteen." "Dinner for Fifteen" is a fancy lunch that a lady from the church puts on for the students and a few youth leaders a couple times a month-ish (one week for middle school, one for senior high). The idea is that the youth leaders are able to get to know the students better and, in addition, the students are able to get to know one another better. The lunch is by invitation only, so not every students comes every time (hence, Dinner for Fifteen). The food is straight up tasty, and it might be one of the best perks of youth ministry. 
This is a picture of Dinner for Fifteen with Sarah taking up most of the camera's flash lighting. Sarah is in 8th grade and plays a bright blue electric guitar with the band. She also plays every sport known to mankind and has yet to give me a sports schedule so I can come to her games. I say that because her sister reads this blog and will mostly likely now go and get on Sarah's case about not giving me a sports schedule.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I'm pretty much glad I don't have to log into my LiveJournal anymore just to leave a comment. I thank you for that Kevin.

So yeah...I'm pretty much letting you know this. And my cousin is pretty much amazing at her sports, so it would definitely be worth approaching her mother (Mrs. Moen) about a schedule ^_^

~Kathryn ♥

Anonymous said...

Sarah's sister does have a name by the way!

R-A-C-H-E-L (I know your bitter of the lack of red sour patches, but can I have a name please)