Tuesday, September 2, 2008

And on the second day of the week, America "Picnic'ed"

This weekend was pretty awesome. Sunday morning the youth group had a picnic breakfast at church because so many people were going to be out of town for the weekend. I guess the pancake breakfast happens a couple times a year because Patrick loves it so much. The award of "most pancakes eaten" was won by Rachel Klein. She ate 11 pancakes. Rachel's mom is the youth ministries secretary. Her name is Ruth. She is married to Mark. Mark's son is Matt. I went out to eat with the whole Klein family after church Sunday.  We went to El Charro's (please roll your rrrrr's when pronouncing El Charrrrrrro's). It was awesome. Then Sunday night, believe it or not, I went to Starbucks and sat and read Manly Dominion for an hour and a half. The experience, like El Charro's, was awesome. I want to acknowledge, at this point, that my Starbucks visits have been made possible by my friends from Patsel's in Pennsylvania who gave me a gift card of sorts to use for my enjoyment in Michigan. They (my friends), like El Charro's and Starbucks, are awesome. 
Monday morning/early afternoon was spent, in part, relaxing at the house with Zeke the dog and chatting on the phone with Bob the youth pastor. Later in the afternoon (as can be seen in the picture) I went to a picnic with a bunch of folks from church at the Ackerman's house. One of their sons, Ian, is in the junior high. Their house was pretty awesome. There was pool, ladderball (aka "Redneck Horseshoes"), a bean bag toss (aka "CORNHOLE!!!!!!!" for my Senior Trip friends), a big trampoline, and a big patio upon which to sit and chat. The day turned out great. 
I returned home that evening and chilled with the Rudd's (Mrs. Burn, how does one properly punctuate a family name when it is in such a grammatical context? Rudd's? Rudds' Rudds?). We, me and the Rudd, Rudd's, Rudds', watched drag racing on the TV. Dan, the dad, knows a lot about such matters. I know nothing. Check that, after last night I know one thing. Did you know the long skinny drag racing cars have about 8,000 horsepower? I wonder what horse they, whoever "they" are, used to determine how much power a horse has. Is the horse stuffed somewhere in a museum so people can stare at it through glass windows and take family pictures in front of it? Let me know what you think. 

3 comments:

socialdgrl1c said...

Were you involved in the pancake eating contest? Or did you make them, you are really good at making pancakes!!

kevin said...

i was involved in the contest by default. all who ate at the breakfast were technically "involved." only a few students rose up above the masses. and thank you for the compliment on my pancake making skills.

citizenofheaven said...

I'm not Mrs. Burn, but it would be "Rudds" in that context. Rudds is just taking their last name (Rudd, yes?) and making it plural to signify that you went with multiple people with the last name Rudd. Rudd's would mean that one Rudd possessed something. Rudds' would mean that more than one Rudd possessed a single thing(for example: the Rudds' house...) placing the "s" on the end made it plural and the apostrophe made it possessive. :) It sounds like you're really enjoying things and that things are going well! I'm excited for you!
- Charity Voelker