Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Ministry is Fun and Funny Ministry

I have not eaten pizza or hot dogs in 3 days! Sunday was Applebees (chicken and broccoli alfredo bowl) for lunch and pulled pork sammiches for dinner. Monday lunch was the old school brown bag special (sammich, chex mix, pudding cup) and McDonald's 99 cent menu for dinner (Did you know 1 double cheese sammich has more calories than a 10 piece chicken nuggets?). I ate at McDonald's for dinner because the high school ate there on their way to God's Helping Hands. 

GHH is a food pantry/clothing closet in the greater Detroit area that the Cornerstone high school students volunteer at one Monday night per month for two hours. The pictures you see are of various students sorting food and clothes. Typical turnout for this ministry is 25 students! It was a great experience and I look forward to being about to participate in ensuing months. 
Do you wanna hear a funny story?
 Awesome. I have one to tell. Wednesday night I spoke on grace for approximately 30 minutes. The students all paid good attention until the end when one student accidently "let one slip." It actually scared the student, and everyone heard it, and students and leaders alike were laughing and couldn't regain composure. It was just one of those moments. Upon surveying the stinky situation, I realized any productive teaching time was gone like a a gaseous vapor in the wind so I stared down the students with a silent, but deadly glare and ripped into them for their noisy behavior. Actually, I didn't do that, but I enjoyed typing that sentence for reasons that maybe only humor me.
Back to the funny story, after seeing everyone laughing I quickly closed up the message and sent everyone on their way. Immediately afterwards, a student came up to me, waited in line for a moment while I talked to a different student, and then after saying, "Hi", said, "When you first started (referring to when I started the internship) you told us you were going to teach for only 20 minutes at a time because you figured that was about as long as our attention span was." (Keep in mind, I had just spoken for a solid 30 minutes.) I proceeded to apologize to the student and acknowledge that I did go long and I said I would try and work on going a little shorter next time. "I just wanted to let you know," he began, before pausing for a second, "that you kept my attention for the whole 30 minutes!" He burst out in a big smile, quickly turned, and walked away. I burst out in a big smile and just sat there. "Uhhh, thanks man!" I said to his back. He didn't turn around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm...not gonna lie...I didn't understand the "funny story."

~Kathryn ♥

socialdgrl1c said...

I loved the funny story so much I shared it with my roomie, Rachel May. She liked it. I'm glad that you're doing well!!!