Saturday, August 30, 2008

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens got nothin' on these 3 things! ...

     I have a few new favorite things: My first (in succession, not priority) favorite thing: www.pandora.com. It is a way cool internet radio setup where you pick an artist you like, and then the website plays that artist and artists that sound like them. My second favorite thing: 2 pound bags of Sour Patch Kids. I bought one at Wal Mart yesterday for less than $5.00 in order to have something to bring to a bonfire at the Moen's house. What can I say, the "first sour, then sweet" chewy candies were a hit.  I intended to take a picture of the bonfire and those in attendance, but I forgot, so I don't have any cool picture for the blog today. My third new favorite thing: Francis Chan's new book entitled, Crazy Love. It is incredible. I first heard about it from Andy Giessman so thanks, Andy, for the recommendation. Reading the book has essentially felt like getting lovingly beaten across the face by a 2x4, but in a good way. Here are a few quotes for you to think about.

     "When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about my life, my family, and my job - I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a "right" to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities."

In giving a biblical profile of lukewarm people, Chan says:
     "Lukewarm people call 'radical' what Jesus expected of all his followers."
     "Lukewarm people do not live by faith; their lives are structured so they never have to."

Lastly, here is a more lengthy quote, but it is definitely worthy reading:
     "When I was in high school, I seriously considered joining the Marines; this was when they first came out with commercials for 'the few, the proud, the Marines.' What turned me off was that in those advertisements, everyone was always running. Always. And I hate running. 
     But you know what? I didn't bother to ask if they would modify the rules for me so I could run less, and maybe also do fewer push-ups. That would've been pointless and stupid, and I knew it. Everyone knows that if you sign up for the Marines, you have to do whatever they tell you. They own you.
     Somehow this realization does not cross over to out thinking about the Christian life. Jesus didn't say that if you wanted to follow Him you could do it in a lukewarm manner. He said, 'Take up your cross and follow me.' "

     I would recommend Crazy Love over both pandora.com and 2 lb. bags of Sour Patch Kids. It is a bold call to abandon the American dream. A call to live like we were created for a place we've never been. A call for each of us to live like we actually love God with all our heart, soul, and mind.
     Another couple books I've been reading that have been even more convicting have been Romans and Colossians. Maybe I'll blog about them in an upcoming post. 

1 comment:

socialdgrl1c said...

thanks for the quotes, I'm getting even more exited about reading that book.