Saturday, May 16, 2009

Track Meets and the End Times

[Thursday afternoon I went to Teddy and Sarah's track meet.
Teddy ran really well and finished second in the mile with
a time of 5:58 behind the speedy little guy in front of him in the picture.]

[Sarah ran the something-meter hurdles (1st place), the
70 meter dash (1st place), and the 800 meter race (1st place).
I think the socks give her some sort of bionic power.]

Rewinding back to Wednesday night, we had a packed house in the Middle School room because we inherited some of the high schoolers. It was great fun. In light of only having 3 more times together before we combine with the high school for the summer, I gave the students slips of paper upon which they could make requests for teaching topics to address in the last 3 sessions. 14 students submitted requests and 10 of them requested that we discuss the book of Revelation (or topics relating to end times). The other four dealt with "Theological Terms", the Archangel, the book of Ruth, and basic evangelism.

I was blown away by the interest in the end times and someone suggested that the interest might be a reflection of topics that are being addressed in the home in light of events in the Middle East and such. Needless to say, I think I might teach a session on "Why I Don't Want to Teach on the Events of the End Times." My guess is that the students want to hear about dragons and earthquakes and the number 666.

This is not bad, I just think we should focus on making sure we're not around when all of that (whatever "that" turns out to be) happens and living as Christians while we are still here.

Upon reflection, I guess I was ignorant for anticipating requests like, "Please teach us how we can honor our parents better" or "I struggle loving my enemies. Please teach me what the Bible says about loving people who hate me" or "I have a lot more stuff than I need. Does the Bible have anything to say about sharing my stuff with needy people?" Dragons and earthquakes are a lot cooler.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

they really r! but not as cool as angels