Sunday, May 24, 2009

Sitting at the Airport

I’m currently sitting in the Des Moines International Airport (terminal: C1) waiting to board the plane back to Detroit. I supposed I’ll type what I can until that time.


I had a full load last week in Michigan before heading to Iowa on Thursday for my sister’s wedding. On Monday I attended the funeral of a student’s grandma, Tuesday I enjoyed being the guest speaking at a Sr. citizens’ luncheon at Old Country Buffet, and on Wednesday I helped with some extra responsibilities for Connect (Connect set a new record of 194 students!).


After church on Wednesday night I attended a parents/students meeting for this upcoming BASIC missions trip. Immediately afterwards I raced home at legal speeds to catch the remainder of the American Idol finale. I think Adam will become the new lead singer for Queen.


Thursday morning at 6:00 I got a ride to the Detroit airport in order to catch my flight to Iowa for Katie and Ben’s wedding. The flight went well and I sat next to a friendly lady whose husband teaches at West Point. My seat was in the last row and therefore directly across from the bathroom. That resulted in there being a good deal of traffic going on by my seat.


Mrs. West Point and I chatted for a few minutes until we received our complimentary beverages from the flight attendant. We then non-verbally and unanimously decided to redirect our attention to our respective literary interests – hers an article on the Obama family in the latest copy of a celebrity magazine and mine the last few pages of my Tim Keller book, Ministries of Mercy.


I finished my reading before she did so I whipped out my laptop and tried my hand at a few games of chess against the computer. Either I’ve gotten really bad at chess over the years or the computer is a digital version of Bobby Fischer. My heart casts its ballot for the latter, but my mind sensible votes for the former.


The plane’s descent was rocky at best, but the landing was smooth so I was happy. I prefer to have problems happen in the air and not when we are hitting the ground. I bid farewell to Mrs. West Point and welcomed myself back to Iowa soil.


Later that day I had lunch with one of my high school youth leaders and enjoyed catching up on the last 6 months. That night the groom and groomsmen got together at a hotel and stuffed ourselves full of Papa John’s pizza, Little Debbie’s, Doritos, and Mountain Dew while watching the end of the Lakers/Nuggets game and playing video games.


We slept in on Friday morning and then went and played paintball at a friend’s place in Indianola. I got more mosquito bites than welts but had a lot of fun.


Friday night was the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. The rehearsal went without a hitch and the dinner food somehow managed to trump the previous night’s menu.


I joined my family at our house that night so as to spend one last night together, just the 5 of us. I slept in my old bed (which is now coupled with its top bunk counterpart) and somehow managed to sit up and drill my forehead on the underside of the top bunk during the middle of the night. Here’s the wound resulting from the accidental altercation:



The wedding on Saturday was beautiful. Katie was stunning in her dress and Ben looked sharp in his black tux with white vest and tie. I’ll do my best to post some pictures as soon as I can get them. As I type this, Ben and Katie are in the air on their way to Maui for their honeymoon.


In just a couple minutes I’ll be boarding the plane. I’ll post this as soon as I get back to Detroit and have a wireless connection.

1 comment:

Rachel L. Moen said...

I am so excited to hear everything went well! I cannot wait to see pictures! : )