Thursday, January 22, 2009

Saturday

[Rachel and I at the rink]

Saturday was none other that Rachel Moen's 20th birthday. Rachel is a member of the college age group at Cornerstone and also a member of the "Go and eat food on Wednesday nights after church crew." It is of this latter group that I would consider myself a part-time member. Is that crucial information? No. Was it free? Yes. You get what you pay for, I guess.

For Rachel's birthday we went roller skating. It's like roller blading, only chronologically slightly more pre-historic and socially significantly less cool. Regardless, I donned the quad-wheeled shoes and had a great time rolling in circles. 

[How does one lean at such a drastically acute angle to 
the horizontal plane and stay standing? Magic.]

The rink was packed with more young kids than a free Hannah Montana meet n' greet so, consequentially, much of the time on the rink was spent trying to avoid knocking over waist-high 10 year olds who skated with the grace of a herd of rhinos taking ballet. That being said, we had a blast and nobody got hurt. 

[Michelle, Rachel, Me, and Josh at the rink - all members of said 
"Go and eat food on Wednesday nights after church crew." ]

Side story: During the "Hokey-Pokey" dance at the rink, this smiley little 7-8 year old girl next to me asked if she could hold on to me so she wouldn't fall over. I was caught off guard and said, "Do I look like a handrail? Go sit down!" False. I said, "Sure." It's the hero instinct inside me. I couldn't resist. 

Post-skating we went out for a little pizza.  Then I bid the skating group farewell in order to join up with a different group of friends at a movie theater to see "Paul Blart: Mall Cop." 

Then I went home.

5 comments:

Josh said...

We need to remember a missing member of the crew, Dave Niff.

Unknown said...

I have to say, Kevin, that this might be the best post you have had to this point. A chuckle here, a witty remark there, a tear over there...what are you going to come up with next?! I remember when I envied the son of the owner of the rink by my house. He was so good at skating.

Unknown said...

This is actually mike not tim.

Anonymous said...

Wish I could've gone. Work had won my time.

Here's a magical, uplifting, and exciting blog comment :D You're welcome, Kevin.

~Kathryn

Rachel L. Moen said...

You really should have talked about the song, I think it would have entered a new level of greatness if you did! All in all though, it was a great blog entry if I do say so myself! It still scares me to click on your blog and see a picture of me right there! Bam!

: )