Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fu Man Chus and The Great Peanut Butter Cookie Conundrum

Thursday night was an elders meeting for church. I've been able to attend the last couple meetings as part of a group of guys who are looking to begin an "elder-in-training" type internship. This would involve reading various books and presenting summary papers, attending elder meetings, and getting heavily involved in various ministries. It's kind of a discipleship on steroids for guys who want to be elders in the church someday.

Friday I went to the aquarium for a field trip with the kids in our after school program. Sometimes my job is really tough - driving a school bus and then dissecting a squid and walking around the Denver downtown aquarium. I totally got to pet/touch/momentarily graze my fingers on a live sting ray. Unlike Steve Irwin, however, I survived the encounter.

[This was the original shark who tried out for the lead role in Jaws.*]

[The Goals group in front of the shark tank.]

[Some of the students and I attempting a group shot in front a unusually long fish laying on the bottom of the tank...too bad we blocked most of it.]

Saturday I did some reading and prepped for leading music at Providence on Sunday. This was my first time getting to lead the singing and I really enjoyed the opportunity. Because Saturday was such a beautiful day (around 50 degrees and sunny), I went for a walk downtown after dinner. I popped in my headphones and listened to a sermon and a half during my walk. I can't wait for the weather to really warm up because a couple guys had set up an artwork booth on 16th Street, and they told me that when the weather warms up they are there quite often along with a bunch of other vendors. Their paintings were cool - a unique combo of bright colors, robots, and planets. Upon reading what I just wrote, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it; the paintings were cool.

On Sunday, the message was about prayer. The meeting place is really starting to fill up on Sunday mornings and some guys had to set up some extra chairs so everyone could have a place to sit. I guess that's a good problem to have. After the service, a bunch of friends came over for lunch before heading out to the Genghis Khan exhibit at the history museum. They all, girls included, wore felt fu man chu mustaches to the exhibit. One of the guys, Jeremy, had actually shaved his goatee the night before so he was rocking a legit, home grown, fu man chu. For the record, I didn't go to the exhibit, but Greg helped me fix my car hood after everyone left so not going was totally worth it.

[Genghis Khan. The great father of the fu man chu.]

I did have a couple free movie passes so Mike and I went and saw a movie that turned about to be a cross between "The Bourne Identity" and an old Bob Jones University movie about smuggling Bibles that I saw in high school - I don't remember the title. Eh...

Tonight was dinner and a movie. Greg cooked up his famous chicken bruschetta (I just spelled that word correctly on my first try. Raise the roof.), and I made the peanut butter cookies. I even pressed the criss-crossed fork grid pattern into the second batch so as to make them look official. Why do we do that? The pressing of the fork so as to create a criss-crossed fork grid pattern on peanut butter cookies. I think we should stop. It makes me feel like I'm eating fattening pieces of graph paper.

Tomorrow is another day of work and the first day of ESL for the spring semester! I can't wait! I love teaching ESL. And I'll get to see my friend Calla again who also teaches ESL. I haven't seen her since before Christmas. Twill be fun.

Hasta luego y buenos noches.

*Not true

No comments: