Saturday, February 6, 2010

ESL XII CCM UFC

Current Listening: Ampersand - Derek Webb and Sandra McCracken

This week has been a true delight. As mentioned in my last post, Tuesday night was the first night of ESL for the spring semester. Class went without a hitch and it was fun seeing some of my students from last semester again. After class, Calla (my friend and fellow ESL teacher) and I went on a spontaneous excursion to Twelve Restaurant for a late dinner and to say hi to my neighbors who work there. I was lucky enough to try seared foie gras (fwah - grah) for the first time as our appetizer. Foie gras is a protein rich method of serving up duck liver that tastes like an oddly enjoyable meaty balloon. It was a unique experience that will find a role as a pleasant, once in a lifetime memory more so than as a regular part of my diet in the future.

Skip Wedesday. It was rather mundane.

Thursday night after I got home from ESL I realized I had left my lap top out on table in a classroom at work. This was most unfortunate because students would be using that classroom the next day and I didn't have to work. I sucked it up, hopped back in my car, drove the 15 minutes back to work, grabbed the stupid laptop (for which I am deeply grateful and under any other circumstances would never refer to as stupid), and drove back downtown to meet some friends. Crisis averted. Personal patience tank running on low. Then I was dumb and put enough money in the parking meter for an hour and a half even though parking was going to be free in a matter of minutes. Tank on empty.

So I met up with some friends from church downtown to hang out and ended up running into three other friends of mine, two of whom (Brad and Josh) are in the worship band Gungor - who I've mentioned on this blog before. Evidently they were just featured on the cover of the newest CCM magazine and their new cd comes out in the next couple weeks. Congrats to them. So I was with the aforementioned church friends at The Celtic Tavern until around 11:30 at which time we headed over a few blocks to the Meadowlark for a late night Churchill show. The show was totally worth staying up late for as they played one of their best shows to date and impressed some "important" people who were in town to check out the band. Next week the band will be on a week-long midwest tour, including shows at both Cornerstone University and Taylor University, so I'll be flying solo for a few days. I anticipate feeling a bit like Kevin McCallister in Home Alone while they're gone. Bring it on Harry and Marv, I'll straight up own you with a staple gun and ... shoot, does anyone have a staple gun I can borrow?

Friday I slept in and spent the day reading and prepping for the all night church prayer meeting that went from 10 p.m. - 6:00 a.m. I had the opportunity to lead the singing for the meeting and do some brief teaching from the book of Ezra for a section as well. For part of the meeting we walked a mile to the capitol building at about 2 a.m. in order to pray for the city and its leaders. While standing on the front steps, we witnessed a car crash at the corner intersection so some of the group ran over to check on the drivers while one guy called 911 to notify the police. No one in the accident was hurt, just a little dazed and in shock.

[The Denver capitol building.]

So I just received a phone call from my friend Dwight inviting me to go watch the UFC fights tonight. I can't really say no to that. I could, but I'm not going to. Peace out peoples! In my next update I hope to talk about the book I just finished reading today.



No comments: