Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Attempting to Catch Up (Part 2): Between Thanksgiving and Christmas

As far as work is concerned, I’m still enjoying it and look forward to going back to work tomorrow. One funny work story is that one of the 6th grade students decided to stick his tongue to a metal pole while walking to the after-school program one day. It was about 5 degrees outside. His reasoning: “I saw it in a movie one time and I was curious.” Yeah, he was all by himself standing on a street corner and just licked the pole. No one dared him. No one was with him. He just did it. It took about half a second for him to realize his tongue was stuck and that he was also very alone. He proceeded to rip his tongue from the pole and stuff his mouth full of Kleenexes as soon as he got to program. I asked him if he’d ever do it again. He said he wouldn’t. But he did convince his little sister to do it the next day. Classic.

[Three of my students...the shortest three in the class!]

I completed my first semester of teaching ESL and enjoyed a graduation/multi-cultural dinner the week before Christmas. Second semester begins in the beginning of February and I’m looking forward to having many of my students in class again.

For my own schooling, I’m one paper short of completing my second 8-week course. I need to work on it and try and get it done by the end of this week. Then I’ll be taking a break for a couple months. During one of the final weeks of the course, I was pretty overwhelmed with a bunch of reading I had to do and not enough time to get it done. I came home from work in a Monday night with the intention of cooking dinner and sitting down at the kitchen table to read until I fell asleep. Lo and behold, there on the table was a bowl of hot food that my friends had dropped off for me so I could get right to my reading and wouldn’t have to spend any time cooking my own dinner. It was totally awesome. I have great friends. The best, actually.

Since I met these friends through church, I’ll catch you up on church. I’ve now been attending Providence Bible Church since late August and had the privilege of becoming a member the week before I left to go to Iowa for Christmas. I’ve been able to help out on Sunday mornings by playing guitar with the music team and, in recent weeks, have begun attending a Wednesday night small group. The other big church happening for me was the Night in a Box event that happened in early December. I’ll devote an entire post to talking about that.

That's it for now. More writing will occur in the ensuing days. Thanks for reading.

No comments: