Monday, January 4, 2010

Attempting to Catch Up (Part 1): My Thanksgiving

Welcome to the year “twenty-ten” or “two-thousand and ten,” if you so prefer. As both of you might have noticed, I have taken a hiatus from the blogging world for a while. I have several excuses for the said hiatus, but I’m learning that we can always have excuses for why we do or do not do certain activities. Usually, these excuses are weak attempts at getting out of having to confess to our own laziness or poor decision making. My failure to blog is due to a combination of all of the above. Much of the time, I haven’t had time to blog, but when I did have time, I was either too lazy to write anything, felt I hadn’t been up to anything too worthwhile, or chose to do something instead. That being said, for those of you who enjoy reading this, I apologize for my negligence and plan to be more faithful in my updates.

Starting briefly back with Thanksgiving (It’s the holiday that should be called “Christmas Decorations Eve”), my parents drove out to Denver to visit me and see my new life out here. They surprised me by arriving earlier than I expected on Thanksgiving Day and arrived in time to watch me play in the 2nd annual Providence Bible Church Thanksgiving Day Football Game. I learned two things during the game. First, athletically speaking, I haven’t really gotten better with age. I’m still slow on my feet and struggle to be the quarterback I imagine myself to be in my mind. Secondly, I have become even less competitive with age. I’m pretty sure my team lost, but I’m also pretty sure I didn’t care.

After the game, my parents and I ran to Wal-Mart to grab some holiday foods for lunch. I hadn’t planned on them arriving till the afternoon so I didn’t have anything planned for lunch-for-three. Thanks to my mom, we put together a pretty good lunch. That night we went to my friend Alyssa’s house and played games with her family.

My parents spent the whole weekend with me in Denver and were able to see much of downtown, visit friends up in Boulder, go to a Hmong New Years celebration with one of my ESL students and her family, and go to church with me on Sunday.

That’s my Thanksgiving in a nutshell.

No comments: