Sunday, August 16, 2009

Better Late Than Never

I finally have a few minutes to update this here blog. My farewell time at Cornerstone was incredible (with the exception of a certain “whipped cream bowl to the face” incident). I am very grateful for every moment I was able to spend with my friends at Cornerstone.


My parents came out for the farewell weekend and stayed until Wednesday morning. We spent Monday packing up the remainder of my belongings from the Rudd’s house and cleaning out my office. Believe it or not, we were able to fit everything into my Civic and the trunk and back seat of my parents’ Buick.


On Tuesday my parents and I went on the tour of the Ford plant in Dearborne. The tour was pretty fascinating and included my first experience with a 3D theatre. We sat in a room on swivel chairs with screens on all sides of us. During the video, the action would happen in all directions and even the temperature in the room would heat up during the boiler room scenes! Like I said, it was pretty fascinating.


My parents and I also met a guy (read: Ford Nut) who was touring the plant for the first time while he was in town on business. Guess where he was from. You guessed it, Denver, Colorado. We (read: He) chatted for a while about the new Ford Raptor truck and then gave me his business card. I’m gonna give him a call one of these days just to let him know I have officially arrived in Denver and have every intention of taking over the whole city.


After leaving Detroit on Wednesday I stopped by Perry, MI to visit my friends Bob and Charissa Karr. They got married last summer. I was in their wedding. I wore a tux. A black one. I think I look good in black. At least I did last summer.


Thursday morning I arrived in Grand Rapids for my friend Eric’s wedding. It was also Jessica’s wedding, but I don’t know her as well so I will here refer to it simply as Eric’s wedding. A bunch of us in the wedding party played badminton, went tubing, and jumped on the diving boards on a floating dock out on the lake. It, the dock, was covered in bird poo. I think they should put a fake owl out there to war against the lesser birds.



Thursday night was the bachelor party. My friend, and Eric’s best man, Mike, had made a video that gave Eric various challenges to accomplish in order to pass the over threshold into manhood land. Some of the activities included drinking 12 Mountain Dews over the course of the night, swimming a lap in a public fountain, and taking a dip in a stranger’s pool.



On Friday the wedding party guys went golfing. Most of us stunk, but it was a great time of male bonding. Friday night was the wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. It was fun seeing Eric and Jessica’s friends from across the country have a great time hanging out together like old friends. One girl, Bethany, was nuts. She straight up barehanded her entire piece of cake into her mouth in an effort to win her self-initiated, “Let’s see who can eat their dessert the fastest!” contest. I think she started laughing so hard that she didn’t even win...although I’m not sure she had any competitors to begin with.



The wedding was great on Saturday. We did the wedding thing and then went for a ride in a limo to get pictures taken downtown and then got back in the limo to ride to the golf course for more pictures and the reception. Each of the couples in the wedding party got a golf cart to drive around in to the various photo locations. It’s a good thing the golf carts didn’t go very fast and that we were held financially responsible for any damages done to the carts or else there would have been a greater degree of mayhem than what actually occured (Read: Zach intentionally went full speed through every puddle and mud hole on the course).



Sunday morning Mike, his brother Ryan, our friend Greg, and myself hopped in Greg and my cars and drove to Iowa stopping overnight as my house on our way to Colorado.


For sake of length, this post has assumed the status of: To Be Continued.

No comments: