Saturday, June 6, 2009

Saturday Faturday

It's Saturday and I'm sitting in a big comfy chair at an unfamiliar Starbucks (corner of Gratiot and Masonic). I felt like a boy scout a few minutes ago because a girl, with laptop and car keys in hand, walked in the door looking like she needed help with something. As best I could tell, it also appeared that she felt uncomfortable asking me, a stranger, for said help. Her unsettled countenance probably would not have been directed exclusively toward me had I not been the only patron in the joint, but alas, here I sit in this big comfy chair directly facing the front door, the only patron in the joint.

I looked up at her doing my best to communicate a "I think you are hoping that I look at you and ask if you need help, but I feel I am at risk of talking to you, a stranger, before you even have both feet in the door." (I have always felt that it is best to wait until a complete stranger has entered a room with both feet before initiating conversation with them.) My look must have communicated well because she timidly asked me, "How do you get the wireless to
work?". I told her that you have to buy a stranger a drink before it will work. False.

I explained to her the process and in a matter of minutes she was surfing the web like a (insert intelligent simile here). As she left, she mouthed a "thank you" to me since I was on the phone. I threw my empty cup at her. False. I waved. It feels good to be a boy scout.

--

As for this weeks activities, I went to the Owens's (I'm still not sure how to properly make a singular noun that ends in "s" a possessive. Any help?) on Tuesday to watch Madagascar 2 before going to Maclane's baseball game. We didn't finish the whole movie but we did watch all of Maclane's game. In baseball terms that's batting .500. Not bad.

[Doesn't Maclane look tough in his uniform?]

[Sometimes Maclane blows at the ball to try and get it
to slow down as it approaches home plate. Cheater or genius?.]

Wednesday night was the first Jr/Sr High combined Oasis of the summer. It was different being there and having zero responsibilities. The guys who did lead did a great job with the announcements, game, music, and teaching.

Thursday night I went to Devin's baseball game and then to his house to watch the Red Wings game. On the way to his house after the game, we swung in to McDonald's to grab some ice cream. I ordered a Triple Thick Strawberry shake. They gave me Orange Creamsicle. Oh well. I guess I just got extra Vitamin C.

Friday night I went with a group of student's to another of Maclane's baseball games. Then we all went out to Dairy Queen and to the church league softball games.

Today I went with a couple guys to Mo-Mo's soccer game. Her team won 3-2.

[I barely missed a perfect shot of Mo-Mo doing a header.
She's not a fraidy cat like the girl behind her.]

[Teddy at the game.]

[Terminator Trevor, myself, and my water bottle at the game.]

In a little bit I'll be heading to Devin's house to watch the Wings' game. Until then I need to hammer out a few details on what I'll be teaching for VBX (6th grade VBS) later this summer.

5 comments:

greglong said...

Do they ever mow the soccer field? Looks like those girls are playing in a field of dandelions.

Rachel L. Moen said...

hahhha....
to the guy above me...
oh this is sarah...the girl doing the header in the game.
and yes they do need to cut the field. thanks for noticeing.:D

kevin said...

No comment as to the condition of the field because the guy in charge of such matters attends Cornerstone.

Rachel L. Moen said...

Tis okay, our father has been best friends with this important man since eigth grade, we can say what we wish about the condition of the field or whatever stories we have obtained over the years ; ) -Lance or Rachel

Ruth, the secretary said...

So, a McDonald's Creamsicle shake qualifies as extra vitamin C? Boy, we can justify anything, huh? And, the proper punctuation for a plural possessive is s' with no additional s after it. Hope this helps clear up your ongoing dilemna. Now you can move forward confidently in your writings. You go, Kevin.