Thursday, December 4, 2008

Resolution Reminders

In a previous post I provided a link to the 70 Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards. I have done my best to continue reading through them once a week and I have come to find certain resolutions particularly memorable and convicting. Here are some of them:

7. Resolved, never to do anything, which I should be afraid to do, if it were the last hour of my life. [I would hate to spend the last hour of my life watching YouTube.]

15. Resolved, never to suffer the least motions of anger towards irrational beings. [I preach this to myself when my computer freezes for no apparent reason.]

52. I frequently hear persons in old age, say how they would live, if they were to live their lives over again: Resolved, that I will live just so as I can think I shall wish I had done, supposing I live to old age. [Much easier said than done, but it's an intersting thought to keep in the back of your head.]

53. Whenever I hear anything spoken in conversation of any person, if I think it would be praiseworthy in me, Resolved to endeavor to imitate it. [I would add to this my own thoughts, "Resolved, whenever I am the recipient of compliments as to my behavior or character, to humbly and privately acknowledge and repent of my shortcomings before publicly setting out to live a life worthy of such compliments."]

54. Resolved, to endeavor to my utmost to act as I can think I should do, if, I had already seen the happiness of heaven, and hell torments.

63. On the supposition, that there never was to be but one individual in the world, at any one time, who was properly a complete Christian, in all respects of a right stamp, having Christianity always shining as its true luster, and appearing excellent and lovely, from whatever part and under whatever character viewed: Resolved to act just as I would do, if I strove with all my might to be that one, who should live in my time. [This is to be applied individually with the intention of one day pursuing it with your closest friends - think Daniel and the guys in the fiery furnace.]

69. Resolved, always to do that, which I shall wish I had done when I see others do it. [Have you ever stepped over a piece of trash on the ground, only to later see someone inconveniently and humbly walk over and pick it up and throw it away?]

Which of these sticks out the most to you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

# 53--my choice