Monday, December 15, 2008

Recent Happenings

This past week I finished reading Mark Driscoll's book, Death by Love. It was one of the best books I've read all year. The book is a collection of pastoral letters written to individuals whom Mark has counseled explaining to them how Christ's work on the cross applies to their specific situation.

I still need to finish my current fiction read, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, before I go to Iowa for Christmas because I need to return it to the library by Friday.

[This is one of the least flattering effects I've ever seen on a picture.
Both sweaters were store bought and then customized
- hers with ornaments
and candy and mine with a full set of working Christmas lights.]

Wednesday night I lost my bet with a student regarding who would have a better/worse ugly Christmas sweater. She won the vote 16-14 so now I have to go see Twilight* in theater. Bug Man said he'll go with me. Anyone else want to go watch a vampire chick flick?

Saturday night was the church staff Christmas party at Pastor Bob's house. He made his special peppermint hot chocolate, and I must say that it took Starbucks out behind the woodshed and gave it a "rod of correction" Oprah-offending whoopin'. Don't get me wrong. I have great appreciation for Starbucks, but it's got nothing on what was being served up at the Johnson home Saturday night.

Last night I went to the church's Christmas concert. The choir and orchestra and technical crew did a wonderful job. Afterward a group of us went out to National Coney Island and had some food. I had blueberry pancakes. I love blueberry pancakes.

*Any guesses on how long before the Christian market starts selling Christianized "Twilight" merchandise? Maybe it's already out there and I haven't seen it. Possible ideas include:

A t-shirt that says, "Mylight", instead of "Twilight" (with a little John 8:12 "I am the light of the world" written underneath it)
Or instead of "Team Jacob" or "Team Edward," it could say "Team Jesus."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Starbucks and its employees are going to jump you. You better watch out or you will find yourself getting the "correction." Mike Morter!!!! (both hands are raised in the air, with fists clenched)

Anonymous said...

ur sweater was the most amazing sweater that i have ever seen! i mean those lights ACTUALLY lighted up! brooke should have never won
-sam