Saturday, March 6, 2010

You Were Born a White (Wo)Man...

"You were born a white man in mid-twentieth century industrial America. You came into the world armed to the teeth with an arsenal of weapons. The weapons of privilege, racial privilege, sexual privilege, economic privilege. You wanna be a pacifist, it's not just giving up guns and knives and clubs and fists and angry words, but giving up the weapons of privilege, and going into the world completely disarmed. Try that." --Ammon Hennessy


I'm not a fan of pacifism, but I think this quote speaks volumes to the church about being willing to empty ourselves of what we have "rights" to in order to reach people with the gospel. I've become especially sensitive to this of late with my church working for racial diversity at all cost.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

I hadn't considered this before, but your post reminds me of the book "Have We No Rights?" by Mabel Williamson. It's one of my favorite books on cross-cultural ministry, but not usually within the US, usually overseas.