Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Lazy Sunday Afternoon

So this past week contained a little bit of everything. I filled in teaching some morning ESL classes at work. It was a lot of fun but a little trickier at times because I normally teach an advanced class and these morning classes were beginner level. That means that many of the students speak little to no English. Nevertheless, I had a great time and would happily teach the classes again.

One semi-funny moment was teaching the students to clearly pronounce the "r" in the word "party" as to not confuse it with the word "potty." It was kind of a you-had-to-be-there moment but I explained to the students what "potty" meant on the board by drawing a picture of a toilet. As the students recognized what I was drawing, they started laughing and realized that the student had told me that she and her family went to the potty together over the weekend.

I wrote my paper for class this week and turned it in yesterday. That's the first paper I've had to write in almost 2 years. Crazy MLA format, takes a while to remember how to site all your sources and such. If I get a good enough grade on the paper, maybe I'll post it on here for those interested in reading it. It deals with gender equality and headship in marriage. Not the least bit controversial.

Friday night I came home from work only to get invited to go to a Manchester Orchestra concert. I've never really listened to the band before, but figured sure, why not. Mike, Aaron, and I made the trek up to the University of Colorado for the show but the tickets sold out (they were only available at the door) when we were 7 people from the front on the line. Rats. If only we hadn't wandered around campus looking for the venue we would have gotten in. We ended up meeting up with Greg at a Starbucks and headed over to Aaron's house to chill.

Yesterday afternoon I did laundry and watched Fair Fight - a documentary about the filming of The Fray's newest album. Last night was a house warming party at the Meese's. Greg, Joe, Nate, and I made a killer fire pit* in the back yard. It was fun hanging out with a bunch of new people. I was gonna take a few pictures at the party to post but I forgot my camera at Aaron's Friday night because I had also intended to take some pictures at the concert. 0/2.

This whole upcoming week at work I'm taking classes to officially get my air brakes CDL so I can drive the Goals school bus. Twill be exhilarating, I'm sure.

*The fire pit was a large cement flower pot that we put some logs in. We found out later that you're not supposed (read: it's illegal)to have fires within city limits. Oops.

No comments: